Having a dream house built is everyone’s dream as a child. As we grow, many of us can finally fulfill this dream. However, merely dreaming is not enough. There are a lot of choices and decisions to be made when this turns into reality.
The house design needs to be practical. It would be best to consider how many family members there are. Along with these, there are a million other factors. However, in all this mess of balancing the finances and keeping your family’s wishes in mind, you can overlook some small yet essential details.
One of them happens to be your garage door. People usually only pay attention to the garage door when there is a problem. However, it would help if you kept many things in mind while purchasing and installing a garage door. One of the significant ones is the material of the door you choose. As most people are aware, the top choices are fiberglass and steel. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages.
This article mainly includes the comparison of fiberglass and steel. This way, you can decide which suits your wants and needs.
Steel Garage Doors
If you are an American, this must be familiar to you. Walking up to any house, you notice the steel doors protecting the garage.
- Who wouldn’t want steel doors anyways? They are strong, sturdy, dependable, and, more importantly, don’t empty your wallet. The fact that steel is durable makes it highly sustainable too.
- Plus, you can always add a layer of polyester paint if you are unsatisfied with the durability. The paint makes the door resistant to fading.
- Adding a wood finish gives your door a grainy texture. It also makes the door strong and protects it from cracking or warping. If you take good care of your garage door, you can keep it rust-free for several years.
- Stuff like aluminum, wood, plastic, or fiberglass may provide security, but steel garage doors stand at the top of the list.
- One of the few downsides of steel doors is that they can be dented easily. Even the slightest impact can leave a bruise.
- Plus, if you do not maintain the door properly, it can become vulnerable to rust.
Fiberglass Garage Doors
Technically, a fiberglass door is just a steel door surrounded by fiberglass layers. However, the way it is coated prolongs its lifespan considerably. It can continue for many more years than a plain steel door. Plus, its design makes it a whole lot stronger.
- You can get a specialized finish on your garage door to make it look wooden. However, we’re pretty sure you would want to avoid the expenses of owning a wooden garage door.
- The fiberglass doors are excellent insulators too! They usually have multiple layers of insulating material. Therefore, as a side bonus, you can save a lot of money on heating/cooling bills.
- If you live in an area with bad weather conditions, you will want your garage door to be resistant to the elements. Fiberglass doors are highly resistant to salt-water corrosion too.
- However, that does not mean they are entirely protected. Over time, like any other object, they become vulnerable to breaking down.
- Another downside of fiberglass doors are vulnerable to strong winds. They can easily get cracked, dented, or damaged otherwise by storms or hurricanes.
Fiberglass vs. Steel Garage Doors (Comparison)
We have stated the boons and detriments of both steel and fiberglass doors. Now, it is time to consider other factors. You should keep all of them in mind while deciding which type of garage door you choose.
1. Cost Comparison
As we have mentioned before, steel doors are known for being highly affordable. When it comes to prices, they are the best choice. On the other hand, fiberglass is slightly more expensive. Their price varies depending on your choice of panel style, hardware, door opener type, etc.
Most modern house owners prefer a Garage Door Integrated With Glass. Glass helps improve curb appeal, the value of your property, and its versatility. Moreover, the more insulated door you get, the higher the price will go.
2. Customization And Appearance
Both steel and fiberglass doors are straightforward to customize. You can find them in countless colors, panel designs, and styles. There are other hardware options, such as Windows, available too.
A wood finish is a brilliant option as well. However, it looks more authentic on fiberglass doors. Steel garage doors are a lot less malleable. Therefore, a wood finish may not look realistic on them.
Are you looking for a garage door? Are you, too, unable to decide which material to choose for your door? Fear not, for we have created this article for this sole purpose.
Leave A Comment